History of Our Practice
Our practice has been in existence since 1911. Over 100 years ago, Dr. J. Chesney Hogshead began the first ENT practice in Chattanooga in a clinic that was located in the Hogshead Apartment Building at the corner of Georgia and Vine Streets. He ran a solo practice until 1947 when Dr. Harold Alper joined him. Dr. Alper had recently finished serving in the Navy during World War II. Together they created the Hogshead-Alper Hospital at the same location.
As a physician practicing medicine in the new specialty of ENT, Dr. Alper was intensely interested in surgery of the ear. He took special training in microscopic surgery of the ear at the University of Vienna, Austria. He was the first to introduce ear microsurgery to Chattanooga in 1957. Later in 1973, he was the first to bring laser surgery to the area.
In April of 1967, Dr. Alper moved to the Medical Towers Building across from Erlanger. Also in 1967, Dr. John T. Evans joined the practice. Three years later, Dr. John F. Boxell and Dr. Hathaway K. Harvey joined them to complete the four physician group.
All of our founding physicians have retired their partnerships with the company. At present, there are six ENT physicians making up our practice. You can learn more about our doctors here.